October 7, 2022
Positive teacher-child interactions are a critical component of the quality of care provided in a program. By conducting self-assessments, a program has the opportunity to identify teacher strengths and areas for improvement. This process is used to create individual staff development plans and ongoing program improvement.
Maryland EXCELS has developed the following self-assessments and associated companion guides to help participants achieve quality rating 3 requirements.
Family Child Care Homes:
- Maryland EXCELS Self-Assessment: Family Child Care
- Maryland EXCELS Self-Assessment: Family Child Care Companion Guide
Child Care Centers:
Infant and Toddler
- Maryland EXCELS Self-Assessment: Infant and Toddler (6 weeks up to 36 months)
- Maryland EXCELS Self-Assessment: Infant and Toddler Companion Guide
- Maryland EXCELS Self-Assessment: Preschool (3 to 5 years of age)
- Maryland EXCELS Self-Assessment: Preschool Companion Guide
- Programs with designated staff and space serving school-age children complete a School-Age Care Environment Rating Scale (SACERS) self-assessment.
- Learn how to conduct the SACERS-U assessment using the video presentations:
If you have questions or concerns about conducting your self-assessment at this time, please contact your Quality Assurance Specialist, for additional guidance.
Program Assessments Conducted by MSDE
The Classroom Assessment Scoring System (CLASS®) measures teacher-child classroom interactions. CLASS provides an objective, consistent, valid measure of teacher-child interactions, from supporting cognitive development to connecting with children individually.
The School-Age Care Environment Rating Scale, Updated Edition (SACERS-U™) is designed to assess group-care programs for children of school age, 5 to 12, during their out-of-school time. It identifies areas of strength and areas needing improvement in the following categories: Space and Furnishings; Health and Safety; Activities; Interactions; Program Structure; and Staff Development.
Programs that have achieved a draft rating 3 or quality rating 3 that request an assessment or programs that have achieved a quality rating 5 will have CLASS® and/or SACERS assessments, depending on the ages of children enrolled.
Visit the Maryland EXCELS and CLASS page on the Teachstone website to learn more and explore other resources.
Updated: October 2022